I’ve been wanting to make my own makeup brush roll, but wasn’t able to find fabric that I loved. Then thanks to Pinterest (as usual), I saw that people were making roll-ups for their makeup brushes using placemats…YES! Genius, the edges are already finished and the place mats typically have some type of structure to them. So off to Pier1 Imports I headed to find a fun placemat, and goodness they had quite the selection. It was hard for me to decide, but I went with my faves teal and coral. This is a super easy project and took me about 30-45 minutes to make from start to finish. Enjoy!
- Standard placemat
- Coordinating thread
- 1/2 yard coordinating ribbon
- Makeup brushes
- With the right side of the fabric laying face down, fold up three inches from the bottom and pin.
- Fold your ribbon in half and tuck the folded edge into the left side of the folded up placemat.
- Sew the left and ride side of your placemat along the edge to create a “pocket”.
- Next lay out your makeup brushes on top of your fabric to decide how many pockets you’ll need. Then measure your pockets, making sure to leave a bit of room on each side for seam allowance, so that the brushes will slide in/out easily. I used 3, 2 and 1 inch pockets.
- Sew a straight line where you’ve pinned each pocket from the opening of your fold down to the crease .
- The final step is to roll your brushes up, tie the ribbon in a bow, decide the appropriate length of your ribbon, and snip of the remaining ribbon “tails”.
Good luck! I hope you enjoy this quick and easy project as much as I did. Let me know if you have any questions about the project.